I made a boo boo with my data. I'm still not even sure just how bad it was, but damn. At a minimum, it was annoying. I'm in the process of putting back everything together from zero. In the meantime, I apologize if any of the numbers I use are wrong.
I THINK the data from the charts below is correct. I know the first one it's not 100% accurate because I'm missing a couple of Wild Jam games, but other than those, it should be every game on itch.
As for Steam, I'm gonna have to keep using only the games on SteamDB at least for a little longer.
Was Elden Ring the cause of the drop of games on Steam during March? nobody wanted to launch their game in the weeks following that particular juggernaut.
Hell, maybe it explains the drop on Itch too: Developers were too busy playing the game to publish anything.
Whatever it was, it doesn't change the fact that 2022 is looking like it will break every record for Godot, just like 2021 did.
📰 Godot news round-up
- Learn GDScript From Zero includes 28 lessons now - Also, you can "play" it on itch too. There's one extra lesson in the Web version tho. Not sure why, but lesson 25, "Creating Dictionaries" is missing on Itch.
- How Math is Fun: Making Browser Games with SDF's & Godot - Mark Nadal's pretty technical interview with the creator of Rocketbotroyale.winterpixel.io.
- A proof of concept of auto rigging with Godot. "It's a module that's part of a game creation toolkit I'm doing for a diploma project. It's super raw right now and some aspects might change in the future. But I would love to open source it." - @heytibo
- Subcube was created with node/Html5 but got rewritten in Godot. - "Subcube just got updated and it feels like a new game now. Common game development wisdom says that if a game didn't sell many units you should improve it and launch it as a new title, or move on to another game. Well i chose the other road, and renovate the with a new engine and replace the old version."
- Godot Showcase - Lumencraft developer talks about his experience - "Lumencraft is a top-down shooter with base-building elements where you're a lonely little digger sent into bug infested underground caves. The game is made in Godot Engine 3, with many custom-made technologies that enable a fully destructible environment, fluid simulation and dynamic lighting.
The game releases into Early Access on April 13th, 2022 for Windows, Linux, Steam Deck, and in the near future macOS. You can find it on Steam and GOG."
If you have anything you want to share with the Godot development community please let me know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org